Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Hi,

I'm probably not the only person who was grossly disappointed by the President's State of the Union address. But at this point, I shouldn't be surprised. Despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, Bush still believes that victory in Iraq is possible. I don't understand why the press has adopted the White House's term "surge" when the correct word for Bush's proposal is "escalation." Although the President is chiefly to blame for the mess we're in, I have no doubt that if the press were doing a better job, we'd be a hell of lot better off.

Best,

D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right on the money with this one. Remember when the "news" networks used "Operation Iraqi Freedom" in the newscasts--straight from the Pentagon. The best critique I've seen of this kind of thing is Independent Media in a Time of War by Amy Goodman. I think it's free on the Internet to watch. It talks about how U.S. media is some of the most censored in the world, and how has become essentially state run media--particularly broadcast.

Damon